2401 Wilshire Blvd (6 other locations)
Santa Monica, CA 90403
Follow CCC on Facebook
Category: Lunch, Dinner, To-go
Company: Date, Friends, Visitors, Family, Co-Workers, Solo
Cost: Under $10/meal unless you eat more than the average bear (or enjoy a lot of side dressings, like moi)
Quick-Rec: Follow CCC on Facebook for occasional free sides, or promotions. The salad dressings are made from the stuff that google searches for restaurant recipes thrive on - so, order extra - I promise you will use it (even if you end up drinking it).
OTC Tip: Order ahead to avoid lines. Always double-check your bag with your phone order- they get busy during peek meal hours!
Here's the thing. When I have several conversations in one week that go one of two ways: "Yes, I LOVE the CCC and the salad dressing must be laced with CRACK" or "California Chicken Cafe? Nope, I haven't heard of it..." I feel absolutely obligated to spread the word because - yep, you guessed it - I go there so often, they know my name.
Which is fine by me - and truly, they should (and will) know yours.
Ok, so the California Chicken Cafe Menu. Per the name, the only meat here is chicken - roasted, on the bone (white and/or dark meat), cut up in salad, wraps, or mixed with pasta and dressing.
The CCC offers meals where you can pick your pieces of roasted-on-an-indoor-spit (try the crispy skin at least once - oh god it's good) with options for a side (or more) of fruit, salad, soup, savory potatoes, mashed potatoes, pasta salad, or slaw.
You can also go by way of a wrap, an entree salad, or even a full meal made up of entirely all sides...basically, the combinations and permutations are endless. And you can customize it - feel like adding green onions or omitting the sprouts? No worries, the CCC will cater to your stomach's every whim.
Below is a list of my FAVORITE things at the CCC:
|Lunch @ Work!|
1. California Chicken Salad - I get mine sans pasta and with green onion. I get several dressings on the side, because I'm hooked.
2. Combo or Primavera Wrap - I get extra dressing on the side. I know, clearly the food is just a vehicle to get the dressing in to my mouth.
3. Broccoli Soup - It's creamy and healthy (but there isn't any cream, haha).
4. Chicken or Broccoli Pasta Salad - Eat as-is OR tucked in a piece of delicious pita.
5. Mashed Potatoes and Gravy - Soft, pillowy, and just how mashed potatoes should be. I always add butter (because food is just a vehicle to get butter on my lips, as some of you might know).
6. Roasted Chicken, any piece (well, I would order JUST the skin, if I could, but...somehow I think the health inspectors would find me and cage me if I tried).
7. Chinese Cabbage Salad - Great when topped with the Ranch dressing and wrapped in pita.
8. Balsamic Dressing, Ranch Dressing, Chinese Dressing - I know, you say "Dressing?" But to be quite frank, it's whatever is in these dressings that cements the CCC as a frequent contributor to my list of weekly staples. It's been debated, but I'm pretty sure every one of them is laced with negligible amounts of something tantalizingly addictive.
|The beloved CCC Salad (w. extra dressings)|
Now, no matter WHO you are: a local, a native, a transplant, a visitor, an athlete, a child, a foodie, or a even picky-eater - you now know that the CCC is a place where you can get full, eat well, and not break the bank.
Make it a habit (it's not like you'll really have a choice once you've been, so you might as well own it!) and I'll see you there.