Beach Bonfire Pits: Dockweiler Beach
12001 Vista Del Mar
Playa Del Rey, CA 90293
Category: Recreation, Group
Company: Everyone, especially s'mores
Quickie: This is the only beach in LA that a) will let you have fire on the beach and b) has built-in fire pits for public use. Take advantage!
OTC Tip: Get there early to secure a pit or bring your own (a portable bbq will suffice!)
Short of camping on the beach (which, let's be honest, very few of us want to do) the beach bonfire is the ideal option. Sadly, despite the acres of beach in the LA area, the only stretch sanctioned for such reverie is Dockweiler beach. No matter - here's how to get the most out of your night:
1. Parking: there is a lot that costs $6-$8. Or, you can park along the street and skid down a sandy/dusty bank to the beach.
2. Get there around 4 or 5pm to claim a pit or else you will be lurking around the whole evening waiting for people to relinquish their fire. Good luck with that. If you don't want to go early, bring a portable bbq and you can make your own fire.
3. Beach patrol is known for a) checking beverages for alcohol (prohibited) and b) giving tickets for such infractions - so c) keep it "G" (see photo).
1. Forget sweatshirts and blankets. No matter what time of year, it gets cold at night!
2. Stay after 10 pm - the beach is "closed" and anyone who loiters will receive a parking ticket.
3. Litter. This particular beach is dirty enough.
The beach bonfire is a great gathering ground for birthday parties, weekends on the beach, and any other day you might want to celebrate in the sand to and through the evening. Cheers!